Arrowhead Christian Academy, northwest Phoenix, AZ, is a local church ministry in the northwest Phoenix, AZ area that, by means of its godly mentors, strong academics, and structured environment, partners with parents to develop students who walk with God, exercise spiritual disciplines, and are well-prepared to serve Him in the church and in the world.
Local Church | Arrowhead Christian Academy is a ministry directly connected to Northwest Valley Baptist Church in Glendale, AZ. We believe that vital involvement in the life of a local assembly of believers is an essential part of God’s plan for every believer – students, staff, and faculty alike. We encourage all of our families to be active members of local churches similar in doctrine and practice to Northwest Valley.
Parent Partnership | Educating children is a responsibility God has given to their parents. Arrowhead Christian Academy desires to partner with parents as they fulfill that sacred charge. To form a successful partnership, we strive to clearly communicate the beliefs, values, and goals of ACA to parents of prospective students. Once the partnership has begun, we pursue regular communication with parents.
Atmosphere of Growth | We endeavor to cultivate an environment that encourages continual growth in our students, teachers, and staff. We want our students to fully engage in their academic development and humbly respond to the life coaching of caring mentors. ACA staff and faculty will attempt to model this desire for growth as we ourselves pursue professional development and listen to feedback from parents, students, peers, and leadership.
Personal Discipline | We want our students to develop a personal discipline that makes them useful in service to God and others. To develop this personal discipline, we assign due dates, expect punctual arrival at class, and provide incentives for personal organization.
Strong Academics | We recognize that the foundational subjects of math, English, reading, science, and history are important for our students. Mastery of these core curriculum not only gives our students a better understanding of God’s world but also prepares them well for post-secondary higher education.
Biblical Worldview | The fear of the Lord is the beginning of [both] knowledge [and] wisdom.î For an education to be effective, God’s Word must reside at its core. ACA’s Bible program consists of developing general Bible knowledge, understanding God Himself, studying core doctrines, and honing the skill of applying Scripture to daily choices in the 21st century. (Our complete statement of faith is below.)
A complete biblical worldview, however, permeates all subjects. History instruction is always framed by the reality of God’s sovereignty. Science instruction points ever toward the wisdom of the Creator. Math enables better service to others. And the study of language enables a deeper understanding of God’s Book and empowers students to communicate with honesty and precision.
Love for God | Christ said that to love God is the greatest commandment; we want Arrowhead Christian Academy to be an environment conducive to developing a relational love for God. We want our students to develop an affection for God, His Word, and His ways ó an affection that naturally flows from gratitude for the saving grace available in Jesus Christ. We will endeavor to model and develop in our students this kind of love for God.
Arrowhead Christian Academy’s school emblem features the cross of Jesus Christ at its center. We want Him to permeate all of ACA’s academic instruction and campus atmosphere. The blue arrowhead shape not only references our name, but also symbolizes our purposeful approach to fulfilling our Christian educational aims. The arrowhead is framed with green leaves that demonstrate our desire to cultivate an atmosphere of continual academic and spiritual growth among our students, faculty, and staff.
Northwest Valley Baptist Church has always encouraged families to make biblically informed educational choices. Although we do not believe formal Christian education is mandatory for every family, it became obvious over time that our church should start a Christian school to help meet our families’ education needs. After much prayer and hard work, NWVBC’s deacon board established Arrowhead Christian Academy in the year 2000 to serve students in kindergarten through the eighth grade. Over the next few years the school grew, and by 2005 ACA had its first high school graduating class. ACA currently provides a quality K-12 Christian education option for families in the northwest Phoenix, AZ area.
FACULTY & STAFF
Mark French, Administrator
B.S. Pastoral Theology & Master of Education, Hyles Anderson College (Crown Point, IN)
32 yrs. in ministry
27 yrs. as a school administrator
Teaches 12th grade Bible
Debbie Stover, Kindergarten, 7th-10th grade Girls Physical Education
10 yrs. teaching experience
Sherisa Victory, First & Second Grades
B.S. Elementary Education, Pensacola Christian College (Pensacola, FL)
14 yrs. teaching experience
Susan Hughes, Third & Fourth Grades
B.A. Elementary Education, Andersonville Seminary (Carmilla, GA)
13 yrs. teaching experience
Rhonda Van Emmerick, Fifth & Sixth Grades
B.A., Elementary Education, International Baptist College (Chandler, AZ)
8 yrs. teaching experience
Jan Deyton – English, Literature & 7th-9th Grade Girls Bible
B.A., History, Winthrop University (Rock Hill, SC)
28 yrs. teaching experience
Caleb French, Director of Music – 7th-9th Boys Bible, HS Choir, JH Choir, & Elementary Music
B.A. Bible & Master of Music, Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
2 yr. teaching experience
Doug Gawne – Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, Spanish, Physical Science, Chemistry & Physics
B.S. Secondary Science Education, University of Detroit Mercy (Detroit, MI)
M.Ed. Secondary Education, Liberty University (Lynchburg, VA)
18 yrs. teaching experience
David Guthrie – 7th-10th grade Boys Physical Education
B.S. Phys. Ed. & Health for K-12 with minor in Science, Taylor University (Upland, IN)
M.A. Athletic Administration Secondary Education, Wayne State University (Detroit, MI)
18 yrs. teaching experience
Justin Howe – 7th-8th Grade History, Elementary Band, JH Band, HS Band, US History, Government/Economics, Consumer Math, & Senior Class Advisor
B.S. Social Studies Education, Maranatha Baptist University (Watertown, WI)
9 yrs. teaching experience
Dr. Kevin Schaal – Speech & 12th Grade Bible
B.A. Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
M.Div., Calvary Baptist Seminary (Lansdale, PA)
Doctor of Ministry, International Baptist College (Chandler, AZ)
Sandra Schaal – 7th-8th Grade Science, 7th-8th Grade Life Skills/Health, Biology, 5th & 6th Grade Arizona History
B.S. Secondary Education, Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
9 yrs. teaching experience
Linda Shumate – 7th Grade Math, 8th grade Math, Algebra I, Computer Basics
B.A. Chemistry, Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN)
5 yrs. teaching experience
James Tilson – 10th-11th Grade Bible, Speech, Athletic Director, Girls Basketball Coach
B.A. Bible with minor in Music, Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
M.A. Bible, Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
M.Div. Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
11 yrs. teaching experience
Linda Guthrie, Academy Office Manager & Yearbook Coordinator
Gayle Eberhardt, Accreditation and Instruction Coordinator
B.S. Elementary Education, Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ)
M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Lesley University (Cambridge, MA)
10 yrs. teaching experience
Susie French, Discipline Records Secretary
Jillian Waycaster, instructional aid/study hall supervisor
Georgeta Ulici, instructional aid
Stephanie DeLaCruz, Private Music Lessons
A.A. Early Childhood Education
A.A. Music Theory and Education
8 time award-winner of National Level American College of Musicians Piano Guild
23 yrs. piano teaching experience
STATEMENT OF FAITH
The following doctrinal statement of Northwest Valley Baptist Church will be a guiding document for all Bible instruction at Arrowhead Christian Academy.
- We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired of God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life (II Pet. 1:21; II Tim. 3:16-17).
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Gen. 1:1; John 10:30; Matt. 28:19; Acts 5:3-4).
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, was born of the virgin Mary, and is true God and true man (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:18-25; Col. 2:9).
- We believe that man was created in the image of God, that he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death but also the spiritual death which is separation from God, and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature and are now sinners by birth and by choice, positively inclined to evil, and therefore under just condemnation to eternal ruin without defense or excuse (Gen. 2:17; Rom. 5:12-21; Psalm 58:3; I Cor. 2:14; Rom. 1:20; Gen. 1:26-27).
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the basis of His shed blood (I Cor. 15:1-4; II Cor. 5:21; I Pet. 2:24; Rom. 5:8-9; I Pet. 1:18-19).
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of our Lord, His bodily ascension into heaven and His bodily presence there for us as High Priest and Advocate (I Cor. 15:1-4, 20-25; Acts 1:9-11; Heb. 7:25).
- We believe in the “blessed hope,” the personal, bodily, pretribulational, premillenial, and imminent return of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (II Thess. 2; John 14:1-3; Matt. 24:44).
- We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and are thereby children of God and are eternally saved (John 1:12; Gal. 3:24-26; I John 5:13).
- We believe that Satan is literal and personal, the agent of the fall, the prince and power of this world and that he shall be judged and eternally punished (Rev. 20:1-10; Eph. 2:1-4).
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead; both of the just and unjust. We believe in a literal heaven and a literal @#!*% ; that the spirits of the unsaved at death descend immediately into Hades where they are kept under punishment until the final day of judgment (Luke 16:19-31; II Pet. 2:9), at which time their bodies shall be raised from the grave, they shall be judged according to their works, and cast into the place of final and everlasting punishment (Mark 9:43-48; I Thess. 4:16-18; Jude 13; Rev. 20:11-15, 21:8).
- We believe that immersion is the only form of baptism revealed and commanded in the Scriptures, that it has no saving power but is only for those who are already saved; and that the new birth, which comes through repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, is the Scriptural prerequisite for baptism; therefore, only those who are old enough to believe for themselves should be baptized (Acts 2:38; Rom. 6:3-5).
- We believe the Lord’s Supper is a memorial of the death of Christ and that only those who have been saved through faith in His atoning blood and are walking in obedient fellowship with Him ought to partake of it. We do not believe in closed communion (I Cor. 11:23-32).
- We believe that the Bible teaches that the following offices of the church should be held only by men: pastor, assistant pastor, deacon (I Tim. 3:1-13; Acts 15).
- We believe that all saved people are called to a life of separation. This separation is in at least two areas: personal and ecclesiastical.
- Personal: Every believer should live a life that is holy, showing a difference between God’s children and the world. This includes obedience to the plain commands of Scripture and obedience in areas of conscience as dictated by biblical principles.
- Ecclesiastical: While recognizing the unity of all true believers, it is also evident that unbelief and error in many organized fellowships have developed to the point that recognized and indisputable apostasy exists. We, therefore, disavow the position of the World Council of Churches, the National Council of Churches, and any other association or fellowship that would follow their principles of compromise with apostasy. We stand in opposition to the Ecumenical Movement, Neo-orthodoxy, New Evangelicalism, and cooperative evangelistic programs between churches and organizations not of like faith (II Cor. 6:14-18; Eph. 5:11-12; Luke 12:51).
- We believe that the modern healing and tongues movements are not in accordance with Scripture and are contrary to sound doctrine (I Cor. 13:8-11, 14:33, 40).
- We believe that it is sin against God for a Christian to be a member of any secret society or lodge such as the Masons (II Cor. 6:14-17).
- We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a monogamous marriage between a man and a woman. We believe that any form of homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, fornication, adultery, polygamy, and pornography are sinful perversions of God’s gift of sex. We believe that God disapproves of and forbids any attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance (Gen. 2:24; 19:5; 26:8-9; Lev. 18:1-30; Rom. 1:26-29; I Cor. 5:1; 6-9; I Thess. 4:1-8; Heb. 13:4).
- We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24; Rom. 7:2; I Cor. 7:10; Eph. 5:22-23).